TOP TIPS TO KEEP YOUR BRAIN YOUNGPosted 7 June 2018 by Saucy Fish Co.
When it comes to the brain, we don’t claim to be experts. BUT, because of the curious soles that we are, we’ve done a little research into how we can ensure our most complex organ stays happy and sprightly.
And – even better – we’ve summed our research up into 5 top tips, that are SO easy to incorporate at home.
1. LET’S GO MENTAL: Any mentally stimulating activities help to build up our brains; this could include reading, word puzzles, Sudoku or drawing. I know right, keeping the brain healthy can actually be fun!
2. JOG ON, MATE: Flexing our muscles can help to improve our minds, as regular exercise increases the number of tiny blood vessels bringing oxygen-rich blood to the brain. Exercise also increases the connections between brain cells.
3. VIRGIN MARY FOR ME PLEASE: Now we’re not saying you have to go cold turkey, but excessive drinking has been considered a major risk factor for dementia, so opting for a booze-free beverage every now and again definitely benefits the brain.
4. I GET SO EMTIONAL, BABY: Those of us who often find ourselves stressed or sleep-deprived (life is hectic, right?) tend to score poorly on cognitive function tests, meaning our brain isn’t performing at its very best. Sometimes life really does get in the way of sleep, but little tricks – such as putting your phone away an hour before bedtime – can help you to get those all-important zzzz’s
5. FRIENDS ARE IMPORTANT: Strong social ties are often linked to a reduced risk of dementia, as well as lower blood pressure. Yep, it’s true, hanging out with your friends is HEALTHY!